Sweet Potato Pignoli Picnic Quiches (Gluten-free, FODMAP friendly)
This tasty little recipe comes to us from Israel, via my cousin Shelly, who brought it to a family retreat over Memorial Day weekend. It’s a great portable, vegetarian “entree” for summer picnics–as it can be served warm, room temperature or cold– and a terrific dish to prepare for the upcoming Jewish holiday of Shavuot, at which time it is customary to eat dairy foods.
A digestive aside: while this recipe does feature dairy prominently, most of the cheeses used are low (or negligible) in lactose. You can swap in Green Valley Organics Lactose Free sour cream* for the Greek yogurt to help keep lactose content to a minimum. Once the lactose situation is sorted, you’ll notice that there are no other fermentable carb (FODMAP) ingredients in the mix– no onions, garlic, wheat, flour of any kind or gassy veggies. So file this one away in the event you’re ever invited to a potluck attended by a digestively diverse crowd.
Recipe: Gluten free Sweet Potato Pignoli Mini-Quiches
Yield: ~16 mini quiches
- 14 oz sweet potatoes, grated
- 6 oz mozzarella, grated
- 3.5 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 7 oz 0% plain Greek yogurt OR Green Valley Lactose Free Sour Cream*
- 2 TBSP canola oil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (pignoli)
- 4 eggs
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using non stick pan, toast pine nuts on stove top until just starting to turn golden brown and fragrant. Remove from heat immediately and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine grated sweet potato, mozzarella, Parmesan and feta. Mix to combine.
- Add Greek yogurt or sour cream, canola oil, chives, toasted pine nuts and eggs. Season with black pepper to taste. (No need to add salt… these are well salted from the cheese already.) Stir until all ingredients well combined.
- Spray standard-sized muffin tin with non-stick spray
- Pour batter into muffin tins and bake for 35-40 minutes until firm and turning golden.
* FTC disclosure: I am a paid consultant for Green Valley Organics Lactose Free
Did you like this? If so, please bookmark it, RSS feed.