How to Eat a Pomegranate
November 4, 2014 – 7:51 pm | No Comment

Some foods are just plain intimidating, and I’ve historically counted whole pomegranates among them.
Unlike other fruits, whose edible flesh lies directly under the skin, a pomegranate’s edible part is actually the hundreds of little juice-filled …

Read the full story »
GFF (Gluten-free friendly)

Stuff of interest to people on a gluten-free diet

Foods you’re probably not eating but totally should be

Nutritious ideas for expanding your foodscape

No lactose? No problem.

Lactose-free foods and recipes for the digestively-challenged

Beans, Peas & Such

All about legumes

GF Bread-like Things

Recipes for gluten free breads, rolls, doughs and other such foods

Home » GFF (Gluten-free friendly), No lactose? No problem.

A New Lactose-Free Yogurt Hits the Market

Submitted by on August 8, 2010 – 3:00 pm23 Comments

For those of you who are counting, this will be my third post dedicated to the topic of yogurt for the lactose intolerant, but my records show that “lactose free yogurt” remains one of the most searched terms that bring people to my site, so clearly, there’s still a need.

While there remain a few good dairy-free yogurt options for the lactose-intolerant set, and Greek Yogurt is a viable low-lactose dairy option for some of the more mildly lactose intolerants among us, ever since True Yogurt departed the market (may it rest in peace), there has been a gaping hole in the supermarket for a dairy yogurt that is 100% lactose free.

Thankfully, the California cows living on Diamond W dairy, heard our collective cries and got together to launch a new line of yogurt and kefir products made with lactose-free low-fat milk under the brand name Green Valley Organics.  I picked some up today at Whole Foods for a relatively reasonable $1.39 per 6 oz container.

As the name would suggest, the products are made with organic milk.  Even better, the farm itself is Certified Humane, which means that the cows are treated according to some of the highest standards in the industry.  Better yet, the yogurts themselves have a relatively low amount of sugar compared to most other available options: the Vanilla, for example, has 9g of total sugar, compared to 21g in the same sized container of Stonyfield Farm Organic Low-Fat vanilla yogurt…that’s whole 3 teaspoons less!  The fruit flavors max out at 16g of sugar total, which is a little high by my standards, but still on the lower end of comparable available flavored yogurt options.

Now, let’s cross our lactose-intolerant fingers that this terrific lactose-free yogurt option is here to stay!

Did you like this? If so, please bookmark it,
tell a friend
about it, and subscribe to the blog RSS feed.

23 Comments »

• John says:

Thank you! I was about to go on a supermarket search for a lactose free yogurt, now I can just head directly to Whole Foods.

By the way, your site is the first one that pops up for “lactose free yogurt.” :)

• David Bice says:

Thanks Tamara~
    We’re so happy you made the delicious discovery, and appreciate you spreading the word. On behalf of the Bice family at Redwood Hill Farm and Green Valley Organics, I can assure you we are here to stay!
    Peace, Love & Dairy~

• Alison Taylor says:

I have been scouring the shelves of supermarkets for a year looking for a lactose-free yogurt and (as it turns out I can’t eat soy either) I had thought my yogurt eating days were over, so I can barely contain my excitement to try this (sad I know, but it was my go-to breakfast food before I became intolerant). Thank you David Bice for making such a yogurt and Tamara for blogging about it.

• Jennifer says:

Tried for the first time yesterday and love love love! Facebooking about it today!

• Laura says:

After reading all three of your lactose intolerant yogurt posts, I just have to comment to tell you thanks. It is so nice to be able to find someone discussing lactose intolerance with actual knowledge. I’ve been researching various aspects of lactose intolerance for a year now, and it is difficult to get information that is not geared more toward being entirely dairy free. I live two hours from the closest Whole Foods, so I probably won’t be buying Green Valley yogurt anytime soon. I’m going to try out some Greek yogurts, though, because cheese never gives me any problems.

• Jenan Semple says:

Thank you so much for this information. I had totally given up on yogurt. I will indeed head to Whole Foods.
    J A

• Kristen says:

I saw this at Whole Foods today. I saw that it has lactase enzyme but I didn’t see anything saying it was 100% lactose free. I do see this on Cabot cheeses and the Kraft parmesan cheese I use. Is this yogurt actually completely free of lactose? I have to ask only because I know how sick I’ll get if it’s just the lactase enzyme. I have to drink soy milk, cannot even use the lactaid milk. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

• Tamara says:

Kristen,
    All lactose-free milk is just regular milk with added lactase enzyme; there’s no other way I know of to make cow’s milk lactose free. While this product does claim to be lactose-free, I cannot vouch for how you will tolerate it. I do think there’s a better chance you’d tolerate it than even Lactaid milk, though, since yogurt contains bacterial cultures that liquid milk does not; these cultures should “pre-digest” any theoretical remaining lactose in the yogurt that was not already broken down by the lactase enzyme. Good luck!

• Jay says:

Yoplait Yoptimal….just found it today at the grocery store…. taste great… .and I still feel okay…. I have never seen the Green Valley brand anywhere….. however living in Canada may have something to do with that…..Finally lactose free yogurt ….

• vicky says:

Thanks. I was starting to give up on trying to eat yogurts. I been buying them for the kids to eat and started feeling like i want my yogurts back from them.lol Now i know where i can go get my own yogurts. Thanks for the information.

• Jamie says:

Thank you for talking about this yogurt – I thought it was great as well!

To anyone looking – you can get individual containers at EarthFare and I’d think most any other specialty foods store – just check in the yogurt area.

I’m still looking for the honey flavor – I think it sounds delicious!

Ms Tamara do you have any suggestions for a dairy free cream cheese?

• Tamara says:

Hi, Jamie,
    If you can tolerate soy, the easiest dairy-free cream cheese substitute to find is Tofutti’s “Better Than Cream Cheese”. The plain flavor comes in a yellow (non-hydrogenated oils) package or a blue one (contains hydrogenated oils… or “trans fats”). The regular version also comes in a few different flavors.

• Merle says:

Is there a “Whole Foods” store in
    Toronto. If so where? If not how can I get this Lactose free yogurt?
    Thanks

• Tamara says:

According to Whole Foods’ website, they currently have stores in Oakville and Yorkville in Ontario. I have no idea where this is relative to Toronto…
    Also, generally, a sizable amount of purchasing is done on a regional and local basis for these stores, so the best thing would be to ask a local store manager to stock this item if they don’t already.

• Cynthia says:

Just a FYI-
    Ralphs Supermarkets are selling this yogurt as well! They are far more common here in LA than Whole Foods.

• Chifon says:

I am severly lactose intolerant and have been for over 10 years now. I have been looking for a lactose free yogurt for years and until Tuesday I couldn’t find it. I found the Green Valley website while googling lactose free yogurts…Green Valley thank you so much for making a lactose free yogurt that is truly awesome! It really feels good to see more and more lactose free products come out and it’s also great to find this website that helps those of us who suffer from lactose intolerance. Thanks Tamara, this website is great!

• Jim says:

I buy this yogurt regularly. For me, the only flavor I like is the Strawberry, although I have not tried the blueberry because that flavor is usually to sweet for me. After reading the comments about the low sugar I think I will try the blueberry, and maybe one of the greek yogurts. Thanks.

• LFYogurt says:

It is easy to make your own 100% lactose free yogurt. The process is described on many Specific Carbohydrate Diet sites. Do a search for SCD yogurt and you’ll find it. The gist is that by processing the yogurt for a full 24h, the bacteria consume all of the lactose. I’m extremely lactose intolerant and have been eating my own homage yogurt for years. But I am tired of making it! Thanks for posting this.

• Michelle says:

I can’t eat soy because I’m on thyroid medication. I have found that a lot of calcium-fortified products and calcium supplements use calcium carbonate (which I’m guessing is probably the least expensive form of Ca), and it gives me almost as much digestive upset as lactose. We lived in Germany in 2004 and many lactose-free dairy products besides milk were available at that time. I was delighted to see that lactose-free yogurt is FINALLY available in the US!!

• Billy Mahoney says:

I have been lactose intolerant for about 26 years and had essentially given up on any dairy since I would describe myself as highly lactose intolerant. I have consumed this yogurt several times without a problem. Highly recommend it.

• JenB says:

Late to this post, I googled non-dairy yogurt. I tried the Green Valley Organics Lactose Free yogurt. It tastes good, but it does make my stomach upset and other symptoms. It took me a week to figure out it had to be the yogurt. Obviously I fall on the sensitive side, and if you do too I suggest staying away.

I wonder if this is because the enzyme, lactase, cannot survive very long in an acidic environment. Yogurt is acidic. So if you take a “Lactaid” pill, it will work, but the acidic yogurt destroys the added lactase before you have a chance to eat it, rendering the added lactase useless.

The other possibility is that I am just plain allergic to milk, which can cause the same symptoms of intolerance, plus allergy symptoms like hives. I haven’t had a rash from this yogurt as I get from some other dairy. Just a reminder that if you think you’re lactose intolerant you may be one of the few with an actual allergy in which case no milk product is safe.

• Tamara says:

Hi, Jen,
    Bummer that you don’t do well even with lactose-free yogurt! I’d place my bets on your allergy theory; over your acid theory… here’s why. A) Stomach acid is FAR more acidic than yogurt, meaning that a lactaid pill would likely be less effective than a lactose-free product under your hypothesis and B) the added lactase enzyme works immediately to split lactose in yogurt (on contact), it doesn’t sit around waiting until you eat it to do its work. By the time you eat the yogurt, lactose has long since been split into its component parts, glucose and galactose. Hope this helps!

• Marcela Bersh says:

Please I need urgent this products but I haven’t been able to find a place to buy them. I live in Mississauga Ontario, can you please give me the closest place? thanks!

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: